With 29th-year head coach C.J. Law at the helm, the Mount Holyoke riding team continued to showcase why it's among the top programs in the nation. During the 2012-13 campaign, the Lyons returned to the IHSA National Championships, garnering fourth overall. They once again finished at the top of the Zone 1, Region III standings and later secured the Zone 1 High Point Championship.
Of their eight regular season shows, the Lyons captured six High Point Championships.
Leading the way was junior Alexa Lohrer, who competed in the prestigious Cacchione Cup at the National Championships after posting High Point rider titles at both the regional and zone shows. Among her top honors of the season came at Mount Holyoke's second show of the season, where she earned High Point honors while helping the Lyons produce a perfect overall score.
Over the course of the season, 37 different honors were claimed by Mount Holyoke's riders. Ten student-athletes competed at Nationals, including Lohrer, seniors Morgan Cooley and Clara Tate, juniors Felicia Harrsch and Eleanor Maynard, along with sophomores Callie Calder, Jessica Murray, Abby Raucher, Madeline Shortt and Samantha Stone.
Overall, the Lyons posted a combined 17 points at Nationals, led by a first-place finish from Raucher, who claimed the title in Novice Fences. Cooley had a third-place mark in the Collegiate Cup Intermediate Flat, while Lohrer finished 18th overall in the Cacchione Cup standings with 77 points.
In addition to the 10 riders at Nationals, Mount Holyoke saw 16 riders compete at Regionals, while 13 of those went on to help MHC win at Zones.
Academically, the Lyons continued to shine as 14 riders took home IHSA National Academic Awards. Eight of those honorees were named to the First Team, which requires a 3.80 cumulative grade point average or higher, while the other six were Second Team honorees – a 3.50 cumulative GPA requirement.
• Finished fourth at the IHSA National Championships (every MHC competitor placed) – Abby Raucher '15 - National Champion in Individual Novice Open Fences
• Won the Region III Championship and the Zone I, Region III Championship
•10 student-athletes competed at Nationals; 13 represented at Zones; 16 at Regionals
• Won eight shows during 2012-13 season, including 1st leg of the Tournament of Champions
• Alexa Lohrer '14 competed in the Cacchione Cup at IHSA Nationals – Named the Season High Point Fences & High Point Rider for Zone 1, Region III
• IHSA Senior Athletic Academic Achievement – So Jin Lee '13
• 14 student-athletes earn IHSA National Academic Award – First Team: Ila Addanki '15, Sarah Clinchy '14, Felicia Harrsch '14, Claire Herlin '16, Eleanor Maynard '14, Madeline Shortt '15, Flynn Vickowski '14 & Maura Zaldonis '15 – Second Team: Emily Bessette '15, Catherine Borgnis '16, Callie Calder '15, So Jin Lee '13, Jessica Murray '15 & Ella Pittman '14
Photos courtesy of Frank Poulin Sports Photography.