Field Hockey Edged by #14 Wellesley, 1-0 in OT

Field Hockey Edged by #14 Wellesley, 1-0 in OT

WELLESLEY, Mass. – First year Hannah Maisano (Gambrills, Md.) scored 5:25 into the first overtime period to lift No. 14 Wellesley College field hockey to a 1-0 New England Women's & Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) victory over visiting Mount Holyoke College on Saturday afternoon at the Wellesley Fields Complex.

Maisano's overtime tally was the only goal of the game and helped lift the Blue to 5-2 overall and 2-0 in NEWMAC action. Mount Holyoke drops 3-4 on the season, dropping their NEWMAC season opener to the Blue for the fourth year in-a-row.

The Lyons held a sizeable 19-4 advantage in shots in the contest, while also earning nine penalty corners. Following an even first half, Mount Holyoke controlled play throughout the second period. The Lyons unleashed 15 shots after break and racked up seven penalty corners but were unable to beat Wellesley goalkeeper Maggie Connelly (Duxbury, Mass.). Making her first career start at home Connelly made 14 saves, including 11 in the second half and one in the overtime period, to improve to 2-1 on the season.

With Wellesley able to withstand the second half push from their rivals, the game advanced into overtime. The Blue got an early chance on goal but Mount Holyoke senior Liz DiCesare (Westford, Mass.) stood tall, turning back Blue senior Courtney Peterson(Glastonbury, Conn.) to keep the contest scoreless. DiCesare finished the game with a one save, dropping to 2-4 on the year.

Connelly then had to come up big in the overtime period, making a stop on a shot from by Mount Holyoke sophomore Colby Newsham (Harvard, Mass.).

With both goalkeepers standing up to their first test in the extra stanza, Wellesley earned a penalty corner just under five minutes into the period. Sophomore Rachel Huang (Campbell, Calif.) sent the ball in to classmate Cecie Negron (Midlothian, Va.) to start the play. Negron then drove the ball toward senior Nikki Sharkin (Summit, N.J.) at the front of the cage. Sharkin deflected the drive from Negron, sending the ball to Maisano sitting on the left post. The first year then slapped the ball into the cage, scoring the game-winner with her second career goal.

Saturday's contest was the eighth consecutive game between the Blue and Lyons decided by one goal. The match-up was also the sixth in the last seven meetings between the two sides to be decided in overtime.

Next up, Wellesley will travel to Bowdoin for a midweek test versus the No. 1 ranked Polar Bears on Wednesday, September 27, at 6:30 PM. Mount Holyoke will host Clark in NEWMAC action next Saturday, October 1, at 1:00 PM.

Story courtesy of Wellesley Sports Information. Photo courtesy of RJB Sports Photography.