SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (October 20, 2016) – The Mount Holyoke College field hockey team grabbed a 4-1 victory at Western New England University on Thursday in non-conference action at Golden Bear Stadium.
• Senior forward Charlotte Wagner (West Chester, Pa.) factored into three of Mount Holyoke's four goals, scoring two herself and assisting on another.
• Western New England junior forward Michelle Carlson (Hackettstown, N.J.) scored the Golden Bears' lone goal, her ninth of the season, late in the first half.
• Wagner staked the Lyons to a 1-0 lead just under 20 minutes into the contest when she came up with a loose ball in front of the cage and sent a shot past Western New England junior goalie Dominique Corveddu (Croton-on-Hudson, N.Y.).
• Mount Holyoke made it 2-0 at the 25:43 mark on a penalty corner play, as sophomore Colby Newsham (Harvard, Mass.) received a pass from Wagner before lofting a shot over the Western New England defense and Corveddu.
• Western New England cut its deficit in half 2:58 before halftime, as sophomore midfielder Emily Antinozzi (Rye, N.Y.) had her shot deflected and Carlson collected the loose ball, firing a shot past Mount Holyoke senior goalie Ally Tessier (Coventry, R.I.).
• The Lyons restored their two-goal lead on Wagner's redirection in the 43rd minute, before capping the scoring with four minutes remaining on junior midfielder Kathryn Rawson's (Old Town, Maine) second goal of the season.
• Mount Holyoke outshot Western New England 16-3 and held a 12-6 advantage in penalty corners.
Both teams will be back in action on Saturday, as Western New England (7-8) travels to Roger Williams and Mount Holyoke (9-5) returns home to host MIT.
Game recap courtesy of Western New England Athletic Communications.