SOUTH HADLEY, MASS. – Andy Whitcomb, the most winningest head coach in program history, will lead the Mount Holyoke field hockey team into her 20th season on September 3rd at home against Rensselaer.
TOP FIVE MOMENTS FROM LAST YEAR
- Liz DiCesare '17 garnered her second CoSIDA Academic All-District First Team honor and was also Mount Holyoke's NCAA Woman of the Year nominee. (Watch Clip)
- The team was recognized by the 2016 Zag Field Hockey/National Field Hockey Coaches Association (NFHCA) for having the second highest GPA in Division III. MHC also saw the most selections (20) in DIII to the National Academic squad.
- Ruvimbo Mushavi '17 was named to the NFHCA Division III All-America Third Team for the second straight season and earned a spot on the All-New England East Region First Team.
- Charlotte Wagner '17, Mushavi, and DiCesare were all recognized as NEWMAC All-Conference selections. Mushavi and DiCesare earned First Team recognition, while Wagner was a Second Team selection.
- The Lyons defeated Wellesley 2-1 in double overtime to advance to the NEWMAC semifinals as junior Kaitlin Braz '18 scored with 11:11 remaining.
TOP FIVE THINGS TO LOOK FORWARD TO
- The Lyons reached the NEWMAC Semifinals for the fourth-straight time last season. Mount Holyoke has competed in the postseason for 18 consecutive seasons and will look to continue its streak in 2017. (Postseason Record)
- Despite the loss of nine seniors to graduation, the Lyons return 13 players from the 2016 squad, including eight of the top-10 scorers.
- The Lyons have gone 32-6 at home over the last four years, including 10-1 in 2013 and 9-0 in 2014. MHC will host nine contests on the turf field for 2017, six of which will occur in September.
- Dating back to 2013, the Lyons have only lost four games during the month of October, accumulating a 31-4 record.
- Offensively, the Lyons will look to midfielders Mirjam Keochakian, Sophie Perekslis, and Colby Newsham to fill the void of Wagner's departure. Both Keochakian and Perekslis recorded 19 points in 2016, while Newsham had 13 points a season ago.