SOUTH HADLEY, Mass. - The Mount Holyoke College Department of Athletics hosted its annual awards celebration on Tuesday evening in Chapin Auditorium. Individuals from all 14 varsity teams were honored. Head golf coach Tim Walko served as the event’s emcee.
Among the awards handed out was the 2015 Laurie Priest Alumnae Association Scholar Athlete Award. Re-named in honor of MHC's former Athletic Director, who stepped down in 2013 after 24 years, the award was presented by Jane Zachary, the Executive Director of the Mount Holyoke College Alumnae Association.
This year's Laurie Priest Alumnae Association Scholar Athlete Award was presented to Hannah Arbach, a member of the rowing team.
Arbach was selected by the department for her outstanding achievements as both an athlete and a scholar. The award, which is sponsored by the Mount Holyoke Alumnae Association, is considered by many to be the department’s most prestigious.
Arbach has been a member of the Mount Holyoke College rowing team over the last four years. A two-year captain, she has helped the Lyons program continue to flourish. Among the many team accolades in which Arbach has helped earn include four consecutive Seven Sisters runner-up finishes, along with two top-five placings at the NEWMAC Championships. Arbach is a three-time NEWMAC All-Conference selection, including First Team honors as a sophomore, while also being named an ECAC/NIRC All-Star twice.
An honoree on the Seven Sisters Regatta All-Varsity Team in 2013, Arbach is a recipient of the rowing team's Metcalf Cup, awarded to a team member dedicated to the pursuit of excellence in rowing, and also the O'Malley Cup, given to a member of the team who exemplifies team spirit, sportsmanship, support of teammates and willingness to take responsibility of organizing team activities and tasks.
Academically, Arbach has shown outstanding excellence as well, earning a number of prestigious awards. A Presidential Leadership Scholarship recipient, she was also a Merrill Award winner and most recently earned the Chemistry Department Book Award, given to an individual who contributed significantly to the life and work of the department. A three-time NEWMAC Academic All-Conference selection, Arbach has also earned ECAC/NIRC Stewards' All-Academic honors twice, while also being a two-time selection as a CRCA Scholar Athlete.
Arbach, who was a participant in the 2015 Senior Symposium, also served as an interim lab manager for Professor Kathryn McMenimen during her maternity leave in the Biochemistry Department. Her outstanding leadership shined through as she handled much of the administrative and scheduling duties, as well as assisting and training other students.
Additionally, Arbach served as an assistant coach for the Mount Holyoke Community Rowing Program for three years. Following her graduation, Arbach will pursue a Ph.D. in Biochemistry at the University of Washington beginning in Fall 2015.
A total of 50 Lyons took home Senior Athlete Awards. They each participated in their sport for at least three years, including their senior year.
2015 Award Winners
- Peter Meltzer Award (Volleyball) - Emma Sweeting '16
- Anne C. Cummings Award (Swimming and Diving) - Rachel Boynton '15
- Noll Newcomer of the Year Award (Swimming and Diving) - Amy Lim '18
- The O'Malley Cup (Rowing) - Hannah Arbach '15
- Holly Metcalf Award (Rowing) - Molly Lapointe '17
- Fiske-Harrington Cup (Soccer) - Hannah Yee '15
- Alice Crothers Bland Memorial Award (Basketball) - Amber Legare '15
- Ruth C. Andrew Award (Golf) - Madi Mendiola '15
- Cramer Players Award (Tennis) - Ishita Tibrewal '18
- Sally Barnes Bondurant Award (Tennis) - Amy Chen '17
- Player's Cup Award (Squash) - Samantha Rosado '15
- Rookie of the Year Award (Squash) - Brandy Williamson '18
- Betsy Brown Award (Cross Country) - Dana Fry '15
- Achievement Award (Indoor Track and Field) - Camille Coklow '16
- Achievement Award (Outdoor Track and Field) - Camille Coklow '16
- Mildred S. Howard Award (Field Hockey) - Kirsten Kilburn '15
- Ruth C. Timm Award (Lacrosse) - Kirsten Kilburn '15
- Lauren Filipiak Memorial Award (Lacrosse) - Catherine Ryan '16
- Winter Hill Challenge Trophy (Riding) - Anne Waldo '15
Photo courtesy of Hannah Arbach and Jane Zachary courtesy of Mount Holyoke Athletics Sports Information