Under the direction of longtime head coach Jeanne Friedman, the Mount Holyoke crew team had a number of solid efforts during the 2012-13 season.
The Lyons competed in four regattas in the fall, opening with a fourth-place finish at the Riverfront Regatta. A 10th-place at the Quinsigamond Snake Regatta was followed by a 19th-place mark at the historic Head of the Charles.
Mount Holyoke wrapped-up the fall season at the Seven Sisters Championship Regatta, placing second overall. Leading the way were All-Regatta Team selections Carter Gemerchak, Michelle Olguin – both juniors – and first year novice Gabrielle Kruczynski.
The squad powered into its spring schedule, taking part in eight more events – five of which were held at Lake Quinsigamond in Worcester. The Lyons racked up 16 points to finish tied for fourth in the Florence Jope Smith Cup and the varsity eight took sixth overall in the NEWMAC Championship Regatta. Sophomore Hannah Arbach and junior Cara Murphy were selected to the NEWMAC All-Conference Varsity Team, while first year Ashley Avila was named to the Novice All-Conference Team.
Mount Holyoke then headed to the New England Rowing Championships and the ECAC National Invitational Collegiate Regatta to close out the 2012-13 campaign. At the NERC, the Lyons varsity eight boat took second place in the Third Level final for its division. It was good for 14th overall and 12th amongst Division III opponents.
A week later, Mount Holyoke concluded its season with a 17th-place showing at the ECAC Championships. Arbach was selected to the ECAC/NIRC All-Conference Team for her efforts.
Academically, the Lyons maintained a strong presence in NEWMAC Academic All-Conference selections, placing 10 on this year's squad. Additionally, 11 student-athletes were named to the ECAC/NIRC Stewards' All-Academic Team, while eight were chosen as CRCA National Scholar-Athletes. Rounding out the outstanding academic efforts were seniors Deanna Hart, Atma Khalsa and Anne Preston, who were chosen as Seven Sisters Scholar Athletes.
• Finished sixth at the NEWMAC Championship
• Were second at the Seven Sisters Championship
• Placed 14th at New England Rowing Championship
• Were 17th at ECAC/National Invitational Collegiate Regatta
• Recorded 19th at the historic Head of the Charles Regatta
• Three student-athletes named to NEWMAC All-Conference Teams – Hannah Arbach '15 & Cara Murphy '14 (Varsity); Ashley Avila '16 (Novice)
• Three student-athletes garner Seven Sisters All-Tournament honors – Carter Gemerchak '14, Michelle Olguin '14 & Gabrielle Kruczynski '16
• Ten student-athletes earn NEWMAC Academic All-Conference – Daniella Acosta '15, Hannah Arbach '15, Sarah Fleming '15, Deanna Hart '13, Atma Khalsa '13, Fan-Jean Liu '13, Cara Murphy '14, Michelle Olguin '14, Anne Preston '13 & Rachael Smith '15
• Eleven student-athletes garner ECAC/NIRC Stewards' All-Academic honors – Hannah Arbach '15, Sarah Fleming '15, Claire Frilot '13, Deanna Hart '13, Katelyn Joyal '15, Atma Khalsa '13, Fan-Jean Liu '13, Cara Murphy '14, Anne Preston '13, Rachael Smith '15 & Helena Walker '15
• Three student-athletes named Seven Sisters Scholar Athletes and MHC Senior Scholar Athletes – Deanna Hart '13, Atma Khalsa '13 & Anne Preston '13
• ECAC/NIRC All-Conference – Hannah Arbach '15