Cara Murphy was named the assistant coach for the rowing program at the start of the 2018-19 season. Murphy is a former four-year standout and captain for the Mount Holyoke rowing team. Murphy is also the Equipment Manager for the Mount Holyoke College Department of Physical Education and Athletics.
Before Mount Holyoke College
- Served as the head novice coach at Division I Colgate University (2016-2018)
- Responsible for on-campus recruiting, developing and implementing training plans, while also overseeing the transition of novices into life as a Division 1 student-athlete.
- Among her successes included seven medal-winning finishes by her novice crews, including winning the 2017 Kerr Cup Novice 8 race.
- Has also served as the head of sculling at Hosmer Point Camp since 2015.
- Among her responsibilities in that role included developing curricula for sculling programs for youths ages 9-16, whose abilities ranged from novice to competitive racing.
- Assistant coach at Smith College (2014-16)
- Aided the head coach with lineups, travel arrangements and fundraising.
- Also coached the team’s third and fourth varsity boats, while performing a majority of rigging and maintenance on various rowing equipment.
As a student-athlete at MHC
- A three-time NEWMAC Academic All-Conference selection.
- An All-Conference honoree as a junior.
- A Seven Sisters Scholar-Athlete, named to multiple ECAC/NIRC All-Academic Teams, as well as a CRCA National Scholar-Athlete.
- She also served as the team manager for the Lyons swimming and diving team for two seasons.
- A native of Shaker Heights, Ohio, Murphy graduated with a B.A. in Psychology in from Mount Holyoke in 2014. She went on to earn her Master of Science in Sports and Exercise Studies from Smith College in 2016.