It was season of new beginnings for the Mount Holyoke golf team as it found a league of its own for 2012-13. Under the direction of second-year head coach Tim Walko, the Lyons became associate members of the Liberty League this season, merging with six other schools. MHC saw a number of strong efforts throughout the year, led by sophomore Madi Mendiola, who continued her outstanding play from a season ago.
The second-year sensation was the top Lyons' finisher in all eight matches during 2012-13, recording six top-10 finishes while posting the top scoring average in school history (79.88). She concluded the season ranked 32nd in the nation.
Mount Holyoke opened the season at the New York Invitational, putting forth an 11th-place effort behind Mendiola's fifth-place finish. The Lyons took 15th in their own invitational, but rebounded to place seventh overall at the highly competitive Middlebury Invitational. That match also saw Mendiola record her best finish of the season as she placed second overall in a field of over 50 competitors.
The Lyons concluded their fall slate at the Williams College Fall Classic and the Wellesley College Fall Invitational where they were 10th and sixth, respectively.
After a long and cold winter, Mount Holyoke returned to the links at the Vassar College Invitational, an event that also served as the site for the inaugural Liberty League Championship. The Lyons, who were fifth overall among conference teams, had strong efforts from each end of the lineup, led by Mendiola, who finished fifth among league finishers to earn All-Liberty League First Team recognition. Sophomore Hannah Falvey was 19th at the league meet while first year Hannah Lozinski, senior Lee Anglin and first year Katie Poulin rounded out the action in 28th, 30th and 32nd, respectively.
The Lyons went on to take part in the Jack Leaman Championship, finishing 11th overall before concluding the season with a seventh-place effort at the Williams College Spring Invitational.
In addition to Mendiola, who was a four-time Liberty League Performer of the Week selection and was also named a WGCA All-East Region honoree, the Lyons saw five student-athletes named to the Liberty League All-Academic team, including Anglin, sophomore Rebecca Berger, Falvey, senior Felicitas Gerlach and Mendiola.
• Program joined the Liberty League Conference as associate members
• Finished fifth at Inaugural Liberty League Championship
• Finished Top-10 in five meets - Middlebury Invitational, Williams Fall Invitational, Wellesley Fall Invitational, Vassar College Invitational & Williams Spring Invitational
• Madi Mendiola '15 named to All-Liberty League First Team (placed 5th at championship)
• 4x Liberty League Performer of the Week (9/17, 9/24, 10/1, 10/15) – Madi Mendiola '15
• Five student-athletes named to Liberty League All-Academic Team
• MHC Senior Scholar Athlete – Felicitas Gerlach '13
• WGCA All-East Region – Madi Mendiola '15