Coast Guard Edges Soccer, 1-0, in NEWMAC Play

Coast Guard Edges Soccer, 1-0, in NEWMAC Play

South Hadley, Mass. - October 8, 2019 - The Mount Holyoke College soccer team fell to visiting Coast Guard, 1-0, in New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) play on Tuesday evening at the MHC Soccer Field.

With the loss, the Lyons drop to 2-9-1 overall and 0-4-0 in NEWMAC play, while the Bears level off at 6-6 on the year, but remain unbeaten in conference play, improving to 4-0-0. Coast Guard held a 37-5 shot advantage over 90 minutes of play, and were awarded 11 corner kicks to the Lyons' two.

In net for Mount Holyoke College, Maria-Lucia Delgado (Bronx, N.Y.) played phenomenal, making seven saves in the setback, while Coast Guard's Sarah Schollenberger (Woodbury, N.J.) had a quiet night, making just two saves in the victory.

Coast Guard produced 11 shots in the first 19:15 of action, two of which were on goal and turned away by Delgado. With 19:35 on the clock in the first half, Mount Holyoke College had its first opportunity when Minerva Veeser-Bobea (Arlington, Mass.) ripped a shot just wide of the net. Following Veeser-Bobea's shot, the Lyons continued with the momentum and Maggie Sullivan (Southwick, Mass.) got a shot off that was blocked, resulting in a corner kick for Cora Melcher (Portland, Maine).

With 13:10 remaining, Mount Holyoke College had its best chance of the game as Veeser-Bobea got loose in the box and fired a shot on cage, which Schollenberger saved initially, but the ball carried behind the keeper and hit the cross bar before the Bears were able to clear the ball and keep Mount Holyoke College off the board.

Entering the second half scoreless, the two sides continued the back-and-forth play until the Bears finally broke through with 26:02 to play. After a shot from Brielle Pearce (Jupiter, Fla.) was blocked resulting in a corner kick, Claire Hurley (Waterford, Conn.) sent in a long drive which was headed into the back of the net by Abby McGuire (Severna Park, Md.), giving Coast Guard a 1-0 lead. 

Pearce almost gave the Bears a 2-0 lead with a little over eight minutes remaining, as the sophomore let a shot loose that caught the post and rolled across the goal line before the Lyons' defenders were able to clear the ball. 

Up next, Mount Holyoke College will travel to MIT on Saturday, October 12 for a 5 p.m. contest with the Engineers.

For the latest updates on Mount Holyoke College Athletics, follow the Lyons on social media on TwitterFacebook and Instagram.