It was an exciting 2012-13 season for the Mount Holyoke tennis team, which qualified for the NEWMAC Tournament for the ninth straight year and finished third at the Seven Sisters Championship behind a number of outstanding performances.
Under the direction of 19th-year head coach Aldo Santiago, the Lyons posted an 11-9 overall record and tied for third in the NEWMAC with a 4-3 mark. Mount Holyoke jumped right out of the gate with a 9-0 victory over St. Joseph University in the season-opener. The victory earned junior AnnElizabeth Konkel the NEWMAC Tennis Singles Player of the Week recognition while she and doubles partner Nahrhee Han were also named the conference's Doubles Team of the Week.
The Lyons later posted an outstanding 5-4 win over longtime-rival Wheaton as junior Eman Malik sealed the victory by a 6-4, 3-6, 6-0 score. MHC continued to shine in NEWMAC play with wins over Clark (6-3), Smith (9-0) and Springfield (7-2) to seal their spot in the conference tournament.
The Lyons once again faced off against Wheaton in the quarterfinals, but fell by a 5-1 margin. First year sensation Margaux Holloschutz was named to the NEWMAC All-Conference Second Team, while five student-athletes garnered Academic All-Conference honors.
Mount Holyoke continued to impress in its spring season recording three straight wins after a tough opening loss to nationally-ranked Bates. The Lyons were winners over Endicott (5-4), Lesley (9-0) and Connecticut College (5-4).
At the Seven Sisters Championship, MHC posted third overall and were aided by the outstanding doubles play of senior My-Linh Nguyen and first year Michelle Cai. The duo, who were named to the All-Tournament Team, posted a 4-1 mark during the competition.
Mount Holyoke closed out its season with a 6-3 victory over Roger Williams.
The Lyons saw a number of accolades during the season in addition to NEWMAC and Seven Sisters honors. At the New England Intercollegiate Tennis Tournament (NEWITT), Han was selected by the coaches as the recipient of the prestigious Lindsay Morehouse Award, while the squad was also earned ITA National Academic Honors for the 2011-12 season with six players garnering individual honors.
• Finished third in the NEWMAC standings
• Beat Wheaton College, Clark University, Smith College & Springfield College in NEWMAC
• Advanced to the NEWMAC Tournament for the ninth straight year
• NEWMAC All-Conference Second Team – Margaux Holloschutz '16
• Finished third at the Seven Sisters Championships
• Nahrhee Han '13 named 2012 recipient of the prestigious Lindsay Morehouse Award, presented to a senior student-athlete at the NEWITT (awarded by collective coaches vote)
• NEWMAC Singles Player of the Week (9/3) – AnnElizabeth Konkel '14
• NEWMAC Doubles Team of the Week (9/3) – AnnElizabeth Konkel '14 & Nahrhee Han '13
• NEWMAC Academic All-Conference – Sarah Anischik '15, Kelsey Brower '14, Jenni Lee '15, Maya Sayarath '14
• ITA National Academic (Awarded in Fall of 2012 for 2011-12 squad) – Sarah Anischik '15, Jenni Lee '15, Kelsey Brower '14, AnnElizabeth Konkel '14, Maya Sayarath '14, Sarah Moore '12