Wheaton Downs Soccer in Shootout

Match Statistics

NORTON, Mass. (Nov. 1, 2008) - The second seeded Wheaton College women's soccer team needed penalty kicks to get past seventh seeded Mount Holyoke College in the New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) Tournament Quarterfinal Round today at Mirrione Stadium. After playing to a 1-1 draw in 90 minutes of regulation and two ten minute overtime periods, the teams went to a shootout, where Wheaton posted a 4-1 edge.

By virtue of today's outcome, Wheaton (15-4-2) secured a spot in the NEWMAC Semifinals. It will face off against sixth seeded Clark University at Springfield College next Saturday at 5:00 p.m. The Championship will also take place at Springfield on Sunday. Mount Holyoke rounded out its season with an overall record of 6-11-1 and a league mark of 3-6-0.

Wheaton converted all four of its penalty kicks to survive the upset bid. Junior Lyndsey McManus beat Mount Holyoke junior goalkeeper Elaine Harvey to get things going for the hosts. Sophomore midfielder Yuko Takahashi answered with the equalizer on Mount Holyoke's first attempt, but it proved to be her team's only successful try.

Following a successful try by Wheaton sophomore Alessia Viscomi, which put her team in front 2-1, first year Lindsay Leddy came up with the first save of the shootout on the ensuing attempt by junior midfielder Jesse Sugrue.

From there, sophomore Lauren Caney scored, and classmate Christina Bertrand found the net for the clincher. In between those goals, Leddy recorded another save on a shot by Mount Holyoke junior forward Lauren Orr.

Wheaton picked up the first goal of the afternoon in the 34th minute, as sophomore Melida Alvarez converted junior Rosie Levy's short pass from inside the box. Levy found her teammate on the doorstep, and Alvarez delivered from point blank range for her team best 13th tally of the fall.

Mount Holyoke broke through for the tying goal less than seven minutes into the second half, when senior midfielder Emmy Fontaine got just enough on her shot to get it past a diving Leddy. Junior midfielder Perry Markell was credited with the assist on the play.

Both teams proceeded to go scoreless over the remainder of regulation time and two ten minute overtime sessions.

Wheaton finished with a 33-9 advantage in the shot column, including a 5-0 margin in the second overtime. The hosts also held an 18-4 edge in corners kick opportunities, with 14 coming in regulation.

Leddy turned aside two shots to move to 12-3-2. At the other end, Harvey had ten saves for the guests.