Cross Country Competes in Seven Sisters ChampionshipComplete Results
NORTHAMPTON, Mass. (Oct. 18, 2008) - The Mount Holyoke College women's cross country team competed in the 27th annual Seven Sisters Championship today at Smith College.
Swarthmore College racked up 35 points en route to its second team title since 1989. The Garnet were followed by Smith (65), Vassar College (73), Wellesley College (78), Bryn Mawr College (144) and Mount Holyoke (145).
Nora Youngs of Smith raced to her second individual title, completing the 5,000 meter course in 19:19.00. A total of seven Swarthmore runners placed in the top seventeen. Nyika Corbett (19:31.80) and Melissa Frick (19:43.30) led the way with second and third place finishes, respectively.
The Lyons were paced by sophomore Rebecca Engell, who grabbed 17th place with a time of 20:40.10. Senior Jessamyn Rising placed in the top 25, taking 24th with a time of 21:04.50. A total of 75 runners participated.
Mount Holyoke will return to action on Saturday, November 1 at the New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) Championship. The event will take place at Franklin Park in Boston, Massachusetts.
2008 All-Championship Team
1. Nora Youngs - Smith (19:19.00)
2. Nyika Corbett - Swarthmore (19:31.80)
3. Melissa Frick - Swarthmore (19:43.30)
4. Laura Coogan - Vassar (19:45.10)
5. Johanna Spangler - Vassar (19:51.30)
6. Katie Weng - Bryn Mawr (19:52.90)
7. Bess Ritter - Swarthmore (20:03.90)
8. Christine Dzialo - Smith (20:07.40)
9. Amy Damon - Wellesley (20:09.30)
10. Jessica Weng - Wellesley (20:10.20)