SOUTH HADLEY, Mass. (May 6, 2010) - The Mount Holyoke College Department of Athletics hosted its annual awards celebration this evening in Chapin Auditorium. Individuals from all 14 varsity teams were honored. Squash Head Coach Allen Fitzsimmons served as the event’s emcee.
Soccer team member Lauren Orr earned the prestigious Alumnae Association Scholar-Athlete Award. Orr was selected by the department for her outstanding achievements as both an athlete and a scholar. The award, which is sponsored by the Mount Holyoke Alumnae Association, is considered by many to be the department’s most prestigious.
With Orr leading the way, Mount Holyoke made its second straight appearance in the NEWMAC Tournament this season. The senior was named to the NEWMAC All-Conference Second Team after racking up 11 points on four goals and three assists. Two of the her tallies went down as match winners. Orr erupted for two goals and one assist in the Lyons 9-2 triumph over the Coast Guard Academy (10/27). In addition, the forward knocked in the winner in her team’s 2-0 upset triumph over Springfield College (10/13). For her career, she totaled 22 goals and 12 assists.
In addition to earning NEWMAC All-Conference Second Team honors this year, Orr was also named to the squad following her outstanding sophomore campaign. She collected NEWMAC Academic All-Conference honors in each of her final three seasons.
Orr, who is double majoring in spanish and politics, boasts a 3.70 grade point average. She served as secretary of the Student Athlete Advisory Committe for two years. In addition, she has been a Mount Holyoke Scholar Athlete Award recipient for each of the past two years.
A total of 39 Lyons took home Senior Athlete Awards. They each participated in their sport for at least three years, including their senior year.
2010 Award Winners
- Peter Meltzer Award (Volleyball) - Kateryna Kuc '11
- Anne C. Cummings Award (Swimming & Diving) - Shannon Sutherland '10
- Noll Newcomer of the Year Award (Swimming & Diving) - Nora Cunningham ' 13
- The O'Malley Cup (Crew) - Caitlin Parsley '10
- Holly Metcalf Award (Crew) - Cleo Schneider '11
- Fiske-Harrington Cup (Soccer) - Terry Orr '10
- Alice Crothers Bland Memorial Award (Basketball) - Erin Cain '10
- Ruth C. Andrew Award (Golf) - Sarah Keating '11
- Cramer Players Award (Tennis) - Sarah London '10
- Sally Barnes Bondurant Award (Tennis) - Natalie Hsiang '11
- Player's Cup Award (Squash) - Laurian Lue Yen '10
- Rookie of the Year Award (Squash) - Tempest Bowden '13
- Betsy Brown Award (Cross Country) - Hannah DiCocco '11
- Achievement Award (Indoor Track & Field) - Miriam Larson-Koester '12
- Achievement Award (Outdoor Track & Field) - Miriam Larson-Koester '12
- Mildred S. Howard Award (Field Hockey) - Mary Kate Switchenko '10
- Ruth C. Timm Award (Lacrosse) - Peggy Wefald '10
- Lauren Filipiak Memorial Award (Lacrosse) - Kristen Cody '10