SOUTH HADLEY, Mass. (May 1, 2012) - The Mount
Holyoke College Department of Athletics hosted its annual awards
celebration this evening in Chapin Auditorium. Individuals from all
14 varsity teams were honored. Field Hockey player Taylor
Hedges served as the event’s emcee
alongside Associate Athletics Director Lori
Track and Field team member Miriam Larson-Koester earned the prestigious Alumnae Association Scholar-Athlete Award. Larson-Koester was selected by the department for her outstanding achievements as both an athlete and a scholar. The award, which is sponsored by the Mount Holyoke Alumnae Association, is considered by many to be the department’s most prestigious.
Last weekend, Larson-Koester took home top honors in the discus at the NEWMAC Championships for the second time in her career. With her toss of 40.38 meters, she established a new meet record and earned First Team All-Conference honors.
In addition to taking home second place in the discus at the 2010 ECAC Championships, Larson-Koester also earned All-Region and All-New England honors earlier that season. Over the course of her career, she has consistently been a postseason qualifier in the shot put.
In 2010, she established a new Mount Holyoke indoor record with her toss of 11.97 in the shot put. She currently holds the outdoor school record in the discus with a distance of 41.79 meters.
Larson-Koester is majoring in economics and boasts a 3.93 grade point average. After earning the Sarah Williston Scholar for her top grades in 2009, she won the French Department's Paul Saintonge Prize for superior achievement in 2010. She earned NEWMAC Academic All-Conference honors in 2010 in 2012.
A total of 52 Lyons took home Senior Athlete Awards. They each participated in their sport for at least three years, including their senior year.
2012 Award Winners
- Peter Meltzer Award (Volleyball) - Kathryn Brummer '13
- Anne C. Cummings Award (Swimming and Diving) - Lydia Bowers ‘12
- Noll Newcomer of the Year Award (Swimming and Diving) - Sophia Spector ‘15
- The O'Malley Cup (Crew) - Carol Still ‘12
- Holly Metcalf Award (Crew) - Hannah Blackmer ‘12
- Fiske-Harrington Cup (Soccer) - Caddy Tootell ‘12
- Alice Crothers Bland Memorial Award (Basketball) - Tricia Chase ‘12
- Ruth C. Andrew Award (Golf) - Madi Mendiola ‘15
- Cramer Players Award (Tennis) - AnnElizabeth Konkel ‘14
- Sally Barnes Bondurant Award (Tennis) - AnnElizabeth Konkel ‘14
- Player's Cup Award (Squash) - Shara Robertson ‘12
- Rookie of the Year Award (Squash) - Dachelle Parker ‘15
- Betsy Brown Award (Cross Country) - Emily Follo ‘12
- Achievement Award (Indoor Track and Field) - Jacinta Edebeli ‘12
- Achievement Award (Outdoor Track and Field) - Miriam Larson-Koester ‘12
- Mildred S. Howard Award (Field Hockey) - Tricia Chase ‘12
- Ruth C. Timm Award (Lacrosse) - Kirsten Kilburn ‘15
- Lauren Filipiak Memorial Award (Lacrosse) - Alex Crean ‘12
- Winter Hill Challenge Trophy (Riding) - Margaret Swanson '12